Date:      Wed, 13 Jun 2001 23:18:57 -0700
From:      Sean Knox <Sknox@CQOS.COM>
To:        'Erik Trulsson' <ertr1013@student.uu.se>, Sean Knox <Sknox@CQOS.COM>
Cc:        "FreeBSD Questions (E-mail)" <FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: modifying partition sizes?

as much as I tempted to simply create a symlink as both Jason and you
suggest, I think this will be a good exercise for me. :-)

So if I were to follow your first solution: (the partitions are adjacent)

1. in /dir:
	tar cvfR usr.tar *
	tar cvfR var.tar *

2. (backed up to another machine)
3. /stand/sysinstall to resize partitions. ** see below
4. untar var.tar in /var and usr.tar into /usr

look good?

In sysinstall, am I able to directly resize partitions, or do I need to
delete the partition(s) and recreate them with the proper size?

* on a side note, how do I exclude directories when creating a tar? I tried
"tar cvfRX ./baddir file.tar *" and "tar cvfR -X ./baddir file.tar *" but
those didn't work.

Sean