Date:      Wed, 26 Sep 2001 06:39:42 +0000
From:      "Eric Buchanan" <stalingrad20@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Umax USB Scanner woes

Hello All,
I bought a UMAX Astra 2100U USB scanner. I have done some research and it
appears to be supported under FreeBSD 4.x. I installed Sane and XSane. I
changed the permissions on /dev/ugen0 to 666. I also changed the permissions
of  USB devices in /dev to 666. When I invoke XSane, it says "xsane: no
devices available" when it is invoked as root, or another super user.
I double checked to make sure the scanner, hub, cables, etc, are installed
correctly by test scanning it under Windows. It is recognized as /dev/ugen0
by FreeBSD. So I know it is physically connected right and working in that
regard. How do I get Xsane to recognize it and use it? What threw me for a
loop was looking on the backend page of Xsane.org and finding that no USB
scanner manufactured by Umax appears to be supported by Xsane, but while
searching mailing list archives, I found this scanner is somehow supported
by FreeBSD.

I am running FreeBSD 4.4 #1 on Intel x86.
Thank you in advance!
Eric