Date:      Mon, 18 Sep 95 15:53:15 EDT
From:      mmead@Glock.COM (matthew c. mead)
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   proxy arp and gatewaying

	Has anyone successfully setup proxy arp and gatewaying on a 2.0.5
or later box?  What I want to do is have two interfaces on one of my
FreeBSD boxes, where it forwards packets from one interface to another, if
the packet is destined for a hardware address on the wire corresponding to
the other interface.  I'd have only a handful of hosts at the end of the
segment, and the rest of the internet on the other side.  Actually, at this
moment, there would be two hosts at the end, and a diagram follows:

ice.Glock.COM	neon.Glock.COM	goof.com[ed1 of gatewaying proxy arp box]
      |                |            |			|
      \-----------------------------/       kernel code copying packets

				Glock.COM[ed0 of gatewaying proxy arp box]

				         concentrator in building

	Ok, hope that diagram makes sense.  What I want to also achieve, is
the following.  I'd like to have ice and neon setup so that they think
their default gateway is goof.com.  From what I understand, the GATEWAY
kernel option will only copy the traffic across interfaces if it needs to
go across.  Is this correct?  If so, it seems to me that I will need to
have the following proxy arps so that the concentrator port sees one
hardware address on my port: a published arp on ed0 of the gatewaying proxy
arp box for ice, neon, and goof.com that lists Glock.COM (ed0 of the
gatewaying proxy arp box)'s hardware address for each ip; a published arp
on ed1 of the gatewaying proxy arp box for all ip addresses except ice,
neon, and goof.com, that lists goof.com (ed1 of the gatewaying proxy arp
box)'s hardware address for each ip.

	What I finally wonder is whether or not this is possible, if I'm
making wrong assumptions about how the GATEWAY code works, and if I'm
assuming where I shouldn't that you can specify an interface for a
published arp.  Anyone have any ideas to help me out?  Thanks in advance!

-matt

--
Matthew C. Mead

mmead@Glock.COM              | Network Administration and Software Development