Date:      Fri, 04 Apr 2003 12:22:44 +0200
From:      "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>
To:        "Brad" <bradd@cat.co.za>, freebsd-isdn@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ISDN4BSD Modems & Cards

> "Brad" writes:
> > Is there a performance benefit using an ISDN card with i4b over an ISDN TA?

Feature benefit also, which keeps me a keen i4b addict,
even though I now also use flat rate DSL at 768 Kbps for normal net access.

	i4b allows you to have the name (or number) of everyone
	who phones you pop up on your screen

	i4b logs in & outgoing calls, useful to check phone bill, EG
		isdnd.log3:13.03.2003 14:04:36 CHD 00016 \
		Call from "TH Gary Jennejohn" to "TH +Julian Personal"

	Remote end identification, useful for additional security
	in addition to all Unix type password stuff.  (which I
	suppose only phone exchange technicians are in a position
	to forge :-)

Maybe some of those features are achievable with an ISDN TA, but
I've never tried, & no need now, as people give me 8 & 16 bit isdn
cards for free these days, & an internal card is one less box, 'cos
the seperate small PCs firewall/gates already exist here.

I've still got a few 8 bit i4b compliant cards Hellmuth gave me, after
I sent him a wedge of stamps to lubricate his stock clearance :-).
If anyone wants one, terms in prefered order are:
  1  Free if you post me a pre paid pre stamped & addressed container.
  2  Free, if you collect (there's a Vintage Computer Fest
     Europa http://www.vcfe.org coming up in Munich soon)
  3  If you want me to box it, & calculate postage to some random part of
     world, pre pay in {Euro postage stamps} or {Euro/UK sterling/US
     dollar} cash or {Euro/UK Sterling (but no US $) - international
     bank charges are prohibitive} {cheque or bank transfer} in
     advance, adding price of 2 beers at bar prices, & next time
     Hellmuth visits Munich I'll buy him a beer.
Private mail first if interested. Option 1 is best.

Julian Stacey       Freelance Systems Engineer, Unix & Net Consultant, Munich.
  Ihr Rauchen => mein allergischer Kopfschmerz !   Schnupftabak probieren.