Date:      Mon, 15 Jun 1998 21:43:09 -0700
From:      "John L. Sackett III" <jsackett@jsackett.slip.rtd.com>
To:        "freebsd-smp@freebsd.org" <freebsd-smp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        jsackett@rtd.com
Subject:   Re: Temp. Monitoring Software for Intel Providence mobo?

Seth Leigh wrote:

> Hi all.
> I know a few people have bought Intel PR440FX Providence dual PPro
> motherboards recently, as have I.  My machine is up and running just great
> now.  I want to be able to monitor the temperatures of my two PPro cpus.
> Does anyone know if there is any software available already that can talk
> to the motherboard's temp. sensing hardware?  If not, does anyone know
> where I would look to find out what I would need to know to write a simple
> program for this myself?
>
> If I successfully write or find some temp. software for this motherboard, I
> will of course share it with anyone else who wants it.  I am running the
> FreeBSD 3.0-980311-SNAP.
>
> Seth Leigh
> seth@pengar.com

> with "unsubscribe freebsd-smp" in the body of the message

  Hi Seth:
good to hear someone else is up and running on a fresh PR440FX install.  I
bought a
micronics li-6 because I got so frustrated trying to run NT on an IDE
drive-Freebsd on SCSI. Everytime
(once every 3 days) I booted it (NT)I got a BSOD. Even with SP3.  Well the
PPro's just keep getting more affordable and i built a new box with old
harddrive, new case, cdrom, etc.
My question is - where did you find a VRM for the second proc?  They are hard
to come by.   I want to go 3.0 on my Micronics board, but am having difficulty
finding a VRM.  Someone Quoted $52.00 from a manufacturer, but that seems
insane when you can find the whole board for 65-70, with the second VRM mind
you.    If you have a
good source let me know.  I have been up on FreeBSD 3.0-980520-SNAP for about
a week and a half now, just slicing away. Man the kernel rebuilds are speedy!

John Sackett