Date:      Mon, 21 Jun 1999 05:51:01 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>
To:        hosokawa@itc.keio.ac.jp, rivers@dignus.com
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org, rivers@lakes.dignus.com
Subject:   Re: Fix to readcis.c for "bad" cards (EP-210 is such a card.)

> >> I thought it might be better to have a "?" instead of random
> >> trash, which lets my EP-210 card work reliably.  (All of the code
> >> in pccardd assumes that the `vers' field of a tuple is a valid string.)
>
> PAO pccardd can use regular expression for these fields and maybe you
> can use ".*" for "vers" field.

 Yes - you can use ".*" when the field is consistent.  Being
 a random  pointer, sometimes it was some 'real' memory... sometimes
 it was NULL.  When it was NULL ".*" didn't match.   Also, often
 the pointer pointed to bad memory, etc...

> Now I'm working on integrating this feature into -current.

  Thanks!  It will be nice to be able to directly install my
 laptop without having to dedicate another machine to it.

> I know there's a card that uses JIS-X0201 kana character (> 0x80) in
> "vers" field, and it can be used with this workaround.

 It wasn't that the "vers" field was > 0x80 - it was that it was missing.
 It wasn't there at all, because the length of the tuple was incorrect,
 readcis.c didn't set the pointer.

 Also - if possible - could this go into PAO3 so the next FreeBSD 3.x
 upgrade will have it as well... thanks again for all of your work!

	- Dave Rivers -