Date:      Mon, 17 Feb 1997 13:40:07 -0800
From:      Craig Shaver <craig@ProGroup.com>
To:        Jeff Newton <jeff@datapark.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Update 2.1.0 to 2.1.6

Jeff Newton wrote:

> FreeBSD Gurus,
>
> I'm a little nervous about an updating the kernel on my 2.1.0 system.
> I've read the various questions/answers in the archive but is backing up
> /etc the only thing I need to do before taking on this task?
>
> Its a production system running DNS and mail for my entire network so
> its crucial that I don't lose anything of value.  Can someone more
> experienced with this tell me what if anything I'll lose during the
> upgrade?
>
> Any advice?  I'd like to make this as painless as possible so any help
> would be GREATLY appreciated!
>
> Cheers,
>
> --
> Jeff Newton

I will be upgrading a 2.1.5 -> 2.1.7 as soon as it hits.  I have another
box that I will do the upgrade on first to check it out.  After I have
successfully gone through the process, then I will do the upgrade on my
server.  In my case I have some driver issues to resolve, but for most
the procedure is to back up /etc and then go for it.  Then edit the
files in /etc to set up all the DNS, mail, etc.  Supposed to be easy,
but I have never tried it, and I have the same concerns as you.

--
Craig Shaver  (craig@progroup.com) (415)390-0654
Productivity Group POB 60458 Sunnyvale, CA  94088