Date:      Sun, 28 May 2006 00:19:58 +0200 (CEST)
From:      <pfgshield-freebsd@yahoo.com>
To:        Daniel O'Connor <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [RFC] Removal of Fortran from the base system

--- Daniel O'Connor <doconnor@gsoft.com.au> ha scritto:

> On Saturday 27 May 2006 13:31, pfgshield-freebsd@yahoo.com wrote:
> > - Will we need a package with the shared libraries that come with gfortran?
> > many packages depend on blas/atlas and other libraries that need fortran
> > but a run dependency on the compiler package would be excessive IMHO.
>
> Why?
> This is no different to building, say, pygame.. Yes it needs Python, wow,
> what
> a suprise :)

It is different, Fortran is a compiler...unlike python and java you shouldn't
need the compiler once the executables are produced.

> > - Perhaps we could remove of the C compiler too? not everyone builds
> > kernels/ports and the gfortran compiler package happens to include a good C
> > compiler ;-).
>
> Fortran isn't used for the base system, C & C++ are.
> (Yes I saw the smiley :)

I think I use about 10-25% of the base system, and for that I only need the C
compiler to rebuild the kernel, but with kld's that is becoming less necessary
each day. Removing fortran (which I really use a lot) is in certain way a
reminder that we should move more towards using the packaging system in the
base too, and ideally depend less on a specific version of gcc.

Actually I think the fortran removal from base is the way to go. Unfortunately
the ports tree is not prepared for it, and I would expect breakage in the math,
science and ports categories. Not good but it had to be fixed some day anyways.

    Pedro.