Date:      Sat, 22 Jan 2000 20:11:45 +0200
From:      Boris Karnaukh <bk532@iname.com>
To:        Marwan Fayed <s0121430@cs.laurentian.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: disappearing mount points after install

Marwan Fayed wrote:

> My problem is this. I am trying to install 3.3-R on an IBM Thinkpad 365XD
> (although I have received mail from a man in France who is having the same
> problem on a desktop). The installation runs completely smoothly but when
> I finish and reboot the machine reports no resident O.S.

Did FreeBSD loader and/or kernel start up?

Have you tested your computer for some kind of disk parameters
translation in BIOS setup?

I have had similar experience with Toshiba Satellite 2500CDS.

> After trying many different things (including messing with the MBR, double
> and triple checking disk geometry, and using a Fixit disk to try to
> diagnose the problem), I booted from the install floppy to the main
> install menu.  Rather than re-install all over again for the nth time I
> just entered the label editor. The partitions were still there but the
> mount points were lost. What appeared was
> this:
>
> <none> 40M     // supposed to be root
>  swap  84M     // swap is obviously OK
> <none> 651M    // supposed to be /usr
>
> This is clearly not what I designated so I tried relabelling the mount
> points, writing the information using 'w' and exiting install only to have
> the BIOS report no O.S. yet again!

According to my experience, you should run /stand/sysinstall again after
chosing "Fixit" option to make "w" option immediately work.

You'll possibly have to create additional devices /dev/wd0? using
MAKEDEV script from "Fixit" disk.

--
<Signed>
Boris Karnaukh 	(mailto:bk532@iname.com)