Date:      Wed, 18 Jun 2003 21:18:17 -0700
From:      Kevin Stevens <Kevin_Stevens@pursued-with.net>
To:        faisal gillani <fasi_74@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OT question releated to networking ...

On Wednesday, Jun 18, 2003, at 20:52 US/Pacific, faisal gillani wrote:

Please don't remove the list from the Reply-To: header...

> Well i am currently running a 75 clients PC network ..
> so my net will be
> merging a 120 Computer network & the total computer
> network will be 240+ all
> of em will be on a single subnet ..
> is that a good idea ?

Probably not, depending on the infrastructure and traffic you could=20
have performance issues, and even if not that's a large and ugly=20
broadcast domain, as well as not very secure.

> the networks usage is internet , some multimedia
> content hosted on local web
> servers , streaming , email server ..

You'd probably be better served by separating the server functions onto=20=

one subnet and breaking the client population up into two or three=20
groups.  Obviously this is generic information as you didn't provide=20
specifics.  As you noted, this is off-topic for the freebsd list; I=20
suggest you look at Cisco's site for some whitepapers on network=20
topology and implementation.

> *=BA=A4., =B8=B8,.=A4=BA*=A8=A8=A8*=A4 Allah-hu-Akber*=BA=A4., =
=B8=B8,.=A4=BA*=A8=A8*=A4

Whatever.

KeS