Date:      Sun, 16 Feb 1997 19:55:12 -0700 (MST)
From:      Charles Mott <cmott@srv.net>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Countering stack overflow

On Mon, 17 Feb 1997, Michael Smith wrote:

> Charles Mott stands accused of saying:
> > What I have noticed running test programs is that the top of the stack
> > always appears to be at or near 0xffffffff.  I am interested in generating
> > an experimental kernel patch (for 2.1.0-R) which would randomly change the
> > top stack address over a range of 0x4fffffff 0xffffffff when a a new
> > process (not a fork) is started.
> >
> > My guess is that this will practically shut down any stack overflow
> > attacks which gain root privilege.  They may still cause crashes or
> > process termination, though.
> >
> > Please advise if there is a conceptual error in what I want to do.  I have
>
> There is a conceptual error in what you want to do.
>
> Stack accesses are _relative_.

My understanding is that the overflow attack must have an approximate
idea (within a few kilobytes) of how to modify the return address.  It
has to know the absolute address of the code which is dumped in the
overflow area of the stack.  A few kilobytes of no-ops are added so the
modified return address can have a little slop.

Does anyone have a working example of something that exploits the old
setlocale() security hole.  I think this will settle any questions for me
and stop having these imprecise discussions on the newsgroups.

I remember getting similar garbage thrown at me when I started the packet
aliasing project, which works just fine and is useful to quite a few
people now.  I may be wrong here, but in any event I need more intelligent

Charles Mott