Date:      Thu, 20 Dec 2001 11:50:04 -0600
From:      Glenn Johnson <glennpj@charter.net>
To:        Tom Parquette <Tom_Parquette@myrealbox.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Multiprocessor boards benefit a workstation?

On Thu, Dec 20, 2001 at 02:44:50AM -0500, Tom Parquette wrote:

> I'm selecting components for a workstation machine and I would like
> some input.
>
> I'm planning to use an AMD processor (Athlon or Duron) and a Tyan
> motherboard.  I have had good luck with my Athlon and Tyan board in my
> curent machine.
>
> Question #1: Does an SMP configuration benefit a workstation machine's
> performance enough to justify the costs? e.g. two of the Athlon MP
> chips in a Tyan multi processor board.

It depends on what applications you run.  I do not think that
multi-threaded applications are currently able to benefit from multiple
processors on FreeBSD just yet but I may be wrong about that.  The real
benefit would be if you run parallel jobs such as MPI or PVM, or many
long running CPU intensive serial jobs, such as simulations.  Be sure
you get a system with enough memory for your applications because CPU
intensive jobs are usually also memory hungry.

> Question #2:I remember seeing a couple of items asking about
> experiences with the Athlon in an SMP configuration.  The Questions
> mailing list archive does not seem to be available so I cannot search
> it.  What are the experiences with the Athlon MP systems?

I have 4 systems with Tyan S2460 boards with dual 1200MHz Athlon MP
processors.  I have not had any problems with them.

--
Glenn Johnson
glennpj@charter.net