Date:      Thu, 26 Sep 2002 21:52:47 -1000 (HST)
From:      Vincent Poy <vince@oahu.WURLDLINK.NET>
To:        Alexander Kabaev <ak03@gte.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, <leblanc+freebsd@keyslapper.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and Verizon DSL

On Thu, 26 Sep 2002, Alexander Kabaev wrote:

> On Thu, 26 Sep 2002 16:20:19 -0400
> Louis LeBlanc <leblanc+freebsd@keyslapper.org> wrote:
>
> > Is PPP setup required?  AFAIK, Verizon doesn't require an
> > authname/authkey challenge, since it logs the Mac Address of the NIC,
> > as well as the modem itself.  I haven't been using PPP with AT&T for
> > the last 4+ years, and it works well.
> >
> > TIA
> > Lou
>
> It is possible that the service Verizon provides in your area is
> different than one they privide here. Here Verizon DSL uses PPPoE and
> ppp is definitely requited to connect.

	The way it works is the the Verizon known as BellAtlantic requires
PPPoE while the Verizon known as GTE doesn't.  BA uses a ATM network while
GTE uses a Frame Relay based network.

Cheers,
Vince - vince@WURLDLINK.NET - Vice President             ________   __ ____
Unix Networking Operations - FreeBSD-Real Unix for Free / / / / |  / |[__  ]
WurldLink Corporation                                  / / / /  | /  | __] ]
San Francisco - Honolulu - Hong Kong                  / / / / / |/ / | __] ]
HongKong Stars/Gravis UltraSound Mailing Lists Admin /_/_/_/_/|___/|_|[____]
Almighty1@IRC - oahu.DAL.NET Hawaii's DALnet IRC Network Server Admin