Date:      19 Nov 1999 14:05:14 -0500
From:      Lowell Gilbert <lowell@world.std.com>
To:        outlawtx@bga.com, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: what is fxp0?

outlawtx@bga.com writes:

> In my natd setup, natd_interface = fxp0.  What the hell is fxp0?

RTFM.  You could start with "man fxp".  fxp is the device for some
kinds of Intel 825xx-based ethernet cards.

> When I run /etc/rc.firewall, I get this error message:
>
> ipfw: warning: interface "fxp0" does not exist.

You don't have a working device of this sort.  There are a number of
possibilities.  Maybe you don't have such a card, maybe you don't have
it configured into the kernel, maybe it's disabled, maybe the device
itself is not configured.  I can't tell from here.

The handbook sections on networking might be of help, depending on how
far you'd gotten previously.

> Also, how do I determine the current setting of natd_interface is I am
> running bash?

*Your* shell is irrelevant.  natd_interface is only defined in terms
of the startup scripts, which are executed by /bin/sh.  You can change
the setting of natd_interface in your rc.conf and reboot, if you
really want to know what the value was actually executed as, but
setting the *variable* has no meaning after rc.network is executed at
startup.

[Actually, I suspect I'm misunderstanding the question, but I'm taking
my best guess at what you really need to know.]

Good luck.