Date:      Tue, 28 Jun 2016 14:57:28 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        al plant <noc@hdk5.net>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: network hook up for Win 10 laptop on Freebsd

On Tue, 28 Jun 2016, al plant wrote:

> Aloha List,
>
> I have aquired a Dell Laptop Inspiron 14 -3452 Windows 10 O/S.
>
> Box has Hdmi, USB and media card reader ports . Also Wireless network hookup.
>
> The network is FreeBSD 8 and has an old HP Laser jet printer and several
> desktops with FreeBSD that work with the printer.
>
> We want to print email received on the Dell on the network. The FreeBSD
> network is hardwired with cables and connectors. The Telcom link to internet
> is wireless and cable mixed.
> Any ideas how I can do this with the new Dell? Can I use converter connectors
> to the cable and connect the Dell to the switch that the other working units
> connect to now.

Is the "FreeBSD network" connected to the wired port of the cable box?
The wireless portion is probably shared with the wired.  From the
notebook, ping the laser printer.  Odds are good that will work.

The step after that is adding a printer on the Windows system.  The
trick there used to be telling it to use a "local port", then creating a
port for the IP address of the printer.  I don't know if or how much
Microsoft might have changed that in later versions of Windows.  Which
version do you have?