Date:      Sun, 8 Feb 1998 01:56:04 -0500 (EST)
From:      phall@enterprise.america.com (Phil Hall)
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   2.2.5 not recognizing sd1 at installation time

I am trying to install FreeBSD 2.2.5 on my second scsi drive.
I am using a tyan 1571 with an adaptec 2940uw.
the system has an ide drive 2 scsi drives and a scsi
cdrom.
I boot using the installation floppy, go through the process of removing any
conflicts.
I select custom installation, partition the drive.
At this point, FreeBSD displays only the ide drive and
the first scsi drive, wd0 and sd0.
both of the scsi drives are narrow, sd0 on the internal 50pin
connector, and sd1 on the 68pin external.
the adaptec recognizes both drives.
I have tried unplugging the power to the first drive, but freebsd still
doesn't see the second one.
I am using active terminators on both ends of the scsi chain, and I have
set termination to low off, high on in the 2940uw bios.

I have installed linux on both scsi drives and it works fine.

any help would be very much appriciated.

phil