Date:      Thu, 18 Mar 2004 15:28:34 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        jwb@homer.att.com (J. W. Ballantine)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD as vmware guest OS and net

> I have a box with w2k as the primary OS and FreeBSD 4.9-stable installed
> as a dual-boot.  I also have vmware 4 installed under w2k with
> bsd as the guest OS.  My problem is I can't get bsd to talk to
> the network card.  What settings do I need and/or network driver do I
> need to set???

Generally you can figure out the NIC driver by looking through
the boot messages.   use  dmesg(8)  to look at the file of
messages.    When you find some text looking like it is talking
about a NIC, then take the two leter code it is referring to and
use it as your driver - in the kernel.

On the machine I am currently on it looks like:

em0: <Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Connection, Version - 1.7.16>
   port 0xdf40-0xdf7f mem 0xfeae0000-0xfeafffff irq 9 at device 12.0 on pci1
em0:  Speed:N/A  Duplex:N/A

So the driver is  'em'  in this case.

////jerry