Date:      Sun, 11 Mar 2001 15:05:55 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Duraid <latif2221@home.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ssh error

--ibTvN161/egqYuK8

On Sun, Mar 11, 2001 at 11:19:15AM -0500, Duraid wrote:
> every time i remotly login to my sshd i get a message saying that the
> server id has changed and maybe that someone is evesdroping. is that
> some thing to do with my public id? but when ssh from the local machine
> where the server is everything is ok.

It doesn't say someone IS eavesdropping, it says they COULD be.  The
server is announcing itself with a different key to what your local
account thinks it should have: either you aren't connecting to the
right system (this is the eavesdropping warning - someone could be
hijacking your connection to redirect it to their own system: this
isn't likely, but it's possible) or an admin changed the key on the
server and everything is okay but you just need to get a copy of the
new key.  You need to verify a copy of the host key on the server
(e.g. log into the console directly, not over SSH, or talk to an
admin) and update the host key on your local account in
~/.ssh/known_hosts

Kris

--ibTvN161/egqYuK8

--ibTvN161/egqYuK8--