Date:      Mon, 6 Jan 1997 13:11:10 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Keith Leonard <keithl@wakko.gil.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Commercial Applications??

On Fri, 3 Jan 1997, Keith Leonard wrote:

> Just a quick one - I've noticed a lot of commercial apps appearing for
> Linux (eg. WordPerfect, Applixware, StarOffice). Are these available,
> runnable, or in the works for FreeBSD?

I don't have any personal experience or documented proof, but I guess some
people have been able to bludgeon WP into working.  It would be wise to
search the mail archives at www.freebsd.org to be sure.

There has been some speculation on Applixware that it may, but again I
have no proof.  StarOffice I know from OS/2, no clue for unices.  Someone
will have to buy it and see if the linuxulator can handle it.

> BTW - drop the 'Berkley alternative to Linux' sounds like you are trying
> to catch up or are afraid of Linux - and you shouldn't be, you've got them
> beat hands down on almost every front.

You're referring to the note on the spine of the 'Complete FreeBSD' book.
I have to agree.