Date:      Wed, 21 Aug 2002 23:25:39 -0400
From:      "Matthew Emmerton" <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
To:        "Chris Linstruth" <cjl@QNET.COM>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Open files and Swap Space Errors (fwd)

2002     murray@builder.freebsdmall.com:/usr/src/sys/compile/GENERIC  i386

> # pstat -s
> Device          1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Type
> /dev/da0s1b        262016     9856   252160     4%    Interleaved
>
> # sysctl -a | grep files
> kern.maxfiles: 8080
> kern.maxfilesperproc: 3636
> kern.openfiles: 383
> p1003_1b.mapped_files: 0
>
> # limits
> Resource limits (current):
>   cputime          infinity secs
>   filesize         infinity kb
>   datasize           524288 kb
>   stacksize           65536 kb
>   coredumpsize     infinity kb
>   memoryuse        infinity kb
>   memorylocked     infinity kb
>   maxprocesses         1818
>   openfiles            3636
>   sbsize           infinity bytes
>
> Running sysctl -a reports too many of these to post here:
>
> swap_pager_getswapspace: failed
> swap_pager_getswapspace: failed
> swap_pager_getswapspace: failed
> swap_pager_getswapspace: failed
>
> and
>
> <3>file: table is full
> <3>file: table is full
> <3>file: table is full
> <3>file: table is full
> <3>file: table is full
>
> And a few like this:
> <3>pid 29289 (sendmail), uid 0, was killed: out of swap space
>
> Any thoughts appreciated.
> --
> Chris Linstruth <cjl@qnet.com>

Well, somehow you are running out of swap space.  Even though 'pstat -a'
shows that you've got tons free, that isn't useful since it (presumably)
wasn't taken at the same time your system was grinding to a halt.

Off the top of my head, there's two things that could cause sendmail to spin
wildly out of control:
1) misconfigured majordomo which causes bounces to be sent back to the list
(which bounce, and get sent back to the list, ...)
2) some sort of mail bombing DoS

If you're running with a high-enough LogLevel in your sendmail.cf, you
should see sender/recipient data in your sendmail logs, and this may give
you a clue as to what occurs when the system starts heading south.

--
Matt Emmerton