Date:      Sun, 17 Feb 2002 15:05:40 -0600
From:      "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1014411940.88446d@mired.org>
To:        mess-mate <messmate@free.fr>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: upsd problems

mess-mate <messmate@free.fr> types:
> Hello all,
> After my first install of FBSD I have following pb :
> (of course fonfigured the kernel before the install)
> in console there are continuing messages (on stdout) like
> 'upsd[226]: write port : cannot write to /dev/cuaa0 : Resource=20
> temporarily unavailable'.
> 'upsd[226]: cannot put the UPS in smart mode'
> So, I thought this is a pb with my mouse and disabled the mouse in=20
> /etc/rc.conf.
> Nothing helps.
> There is no way to eventually recompile the kernel with all this=20
> messages on the screen.
> Are there maybe other services I have to disabling ?
> Thanks for your help.

First, do an "fstat /dev/cuaa0", and see if a process name falls
out. If so, you've got to figure out why that process is using cuaa0,
and what to do about it. If no process has /dev/cuaa0 open, then check
/var/log/lock to see if there's an LCK..cuaa0 in it, and delete it if
so. That will fix the problem. If no process has it open and there's
no lock file, then you're up against something else.

	<mike