Date:      Wed, 18 Jul 2001 17:56:37 +0300
From:      Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
To:        Mike Barcroft <mike@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Alexey Zelkin <phantom@FreeBSD.org.ua>, audit@FreeBSD.org, Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
Subject:   Re: whois(1) changes

On Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 11:00:51AM -0400, Mike Barcroft wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 18, 2001 at 03:44:25PM +0300, Alexey Zelkin wrote:
> > On Tue, Jul 17, 2001 at 09:45:24PM -0400, Mike Barcroft wrote:
> > > whois.20010717.patch
> > >
> > > o Reintegrate part of phantom's patch which adds gethostinfo().
> > > o Create a wrapper for asprintf(3) which checks for failure.
> > > o Tested on i386, alpha.
> >
> > [patch skiped]
> >
> > 1. isdigit()'s argument should be explicitly casted to 'unsigned char' per
> > ache's guidelines.
>
> Can you explain this in more detail?  To my understanding, one only does
> this when using setlocale(3) and friends.

It's only the sane thing to do.

Someone, some day, may decide to go ahead and make whois(1) locale-aware.
You might as well make their job easier by using (logically correct)
unsigned char arguments to functions that accept characters as opposed
to arbitrary integer values.

(And then somebody in the audience mutters something about multibyte
 characters and wchar_t, and I hastily scurry back into the hole
 I crawled out of.. ;)

G'luck,
Peter

--