Date:      Sat, 15 Jan 2000 12:42:50 -0700
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        Tatsumi Hosokawa <hosokawa@itc.keio.ac.jp>
Cc:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Polling mode of pcic as default?

In message <86901rt9cw.wl@ringo.FromTo.Cc> Tatsumi Hosokawa writes:
: To avoid race condition, users have to execute "pccard power slotnum
: 0" before s/he remove a card from a slot like Microsoft Windows.  To
: make it easier, wrapper script or X interface (like xpccard in PAO)
: will be useful, and to solve this problem essentially, I think that it
: needs more and more hacks in device management system.

I'm not sure I understand the last part of this paragraph.  Also,
users that have mounted storage need to unmount the storage as well.
Users of ppp need to shutdown ppp before turning off the power.

This does make simple zzz much harder to do, but even apmd can now
deal with those issues.

: Okay, default mode of PCIC is IRQ mode in coming 4.0-RELEASE, but
: polling mode works as well.

Actually, I think I like the idea of using polling by default.  I
think that having it on by default will allow more users to install
where eject isn't an issue, but picking the wrong IRQ is a big issue.

Warner