Date:      Fri, 28 Jul 2000 09:55:27 +0200
From:      Vallo Kallaste <vallo@matti.ee>
To:        Morten Seeberg <ml@seeberg.dk>
Cc:        Alejandro Ramirez <ales@megared.net.mx>, questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Need to compare FreeBSD -> Solaris 8 ...

On Thu, Jul 27, 2000 at 05:51:05PM +0100, Morten Seeberg <ml@seeberg.dk> wrote:

> Itīs a feature of Solstice Disksuite which is a piece of software that comes
> freely with Solaris. Basicly itīs  a simple version of a journalized
> filesystem, which used a reserved partition for loggin information.
>
> Iīve never benchmarked it, but according to SUN it speeds up the disk I/O.

Solaris 8 has logging mountoption, no need for DiskSuite. As I
understand it it logs only metadata changes using same filesystem not
other disk, the overhead for space is ca 1MB for 1GB of data. Logging
will slow down writes considerably, as I'm told. It's only use is for
large critical filesystems, where you can't afford several hours of fsck
or filesystem corruption.
--

Vallo Kallaste
vallo@matti.ee