Date:      Sat, 29 May 1999 11:15:41 -0400 (EDT)
From:      David Gilbert <dgilbert@velocet.ca>
To:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        David Gilbert <dgilbert@velocet.ca>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Linux and Solaris tcp beating FreeBSD 4:1

>>>>> "Garrett" == Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu> writes:

Garrett> <<On Fri, 28 May 1999 22:04:24 -0400 (EDT), David Gilbert
Garrett> <dgilbert@velocet.ca> said:
>> I havn't done a packet dump yet... but why is Linux beating FreeBSD
>> 4:1 and what can I do about it?

Garrett> The TCP retransmit timer is initialized to min(2, srtt +
Garrett> 4*rttvar).  If your link is lossy, you'll probably be in
Garrett> retransmit a lot.  Unfortunately, the TCP timers in -current
Garrett> are measured in 1/2-second intervals (a remnant from the VAX
Garrett> implementation), which means that the minimum retransmit
Garrett> timeout in FreeBSD is one second.  This is probably an order
Garrett> of magnitude greater than the round-trip time.  Linux and
Garrett> Solaris use different TCP timer implementations which have
Garrett> much higher-resolution timers.

Since the real solution for this is some time in the future, what can
I hack on quickly?  If I can't change the timeout speed, can I change
some other parameter that will help here?  I'm taking a lot of flack
that netcat port forwarding on a Sparc 1+ can beat our FreeBSD
K6-2/400

Dave.