Date:      Mon, 11 Mar 1996 18:12:10 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Nik Clayton <nik@blueberry.co.uk>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   'make world' - now what?

Hi,

I figure this is relevant to -questions, -stable and -current. But I haven't
seen any activity on the -stable mailing list since subscribing to it,
and I'm not subscribed to -current, so -questions it is.

I've supped the latest version of -stable. Modulo problems with lp.4 not
existing I've done

     cd /usr/src
     make -DNOPROFILE world

and I've rebuilt my kernel with the new sources. It's all running hunky
dory.

However, I notice there have been some changes to files in /usr/src/etc,
particularly sysconfig. Is there any easy way to merge these changes in,
automatically, or is it a case of picking through each file by hand and
working out what I do and do not need?

Also, after subsequent sup's I assume all I'm going to do is

    cd /usr/src
    make -DNOPROFILE depend all install

which is only going to recompile what's changed. It looks like 'world'
will re-make everything from scratch, which is not what I want.

Also, can anyone point me at some sup servers somewhat nearer the UK? The
handbook says that there should be a README file in /usr/share/examples/sup
with list of alternate servers, but it's not present on my system.

Cheers,

--+=[ Blueberry Hill                   Blueberry Design                   ]=+--
--+=[ http://www.blueberry.co.uk/      1/9 Chelsea Harbour Design Centre, ]=+--
--+=[ WebMaster@blueberry.co.uk        London, England, SW10 0XE          ]=+--
--+=[            Unix wizardry practiced for fun and profit.              ]ENTP