Date:      Wed, 25 Jan 2012 19:23:36 +0400
From:      Michael BlackHeart <amdmiek@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   AHCI powersaving issue

Hello, I've a trouble with new achi driver on currently 9 release, but
it was the same on 8-stable. I've have an:

smartctl -a /dev/ada0

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Model Family:     Western Digital Scorpio Blue Serial ATA
Device Model:     WDC WD3200BEVT-22A23T0
Serial Number:    WD-WXL1AB086780

And there's an idle state disabled by wdidle3 v1.05.

But it constantly goes to power saving mode. I can see it 'cos I'm
hearing a sound of spinning up HDD and SMART param 193
Load_Cycle_Count rises VERY frequently, something insane about one per
few minutes.

This thing solves the problem: camcontrol cmd ada0 -a "EF 85 00 00 00
00 00 00 00 00 00 00" and everything goes fine from that moment.

Output with disabled APM.
camcontrol identify ada0
pass0: <WDC WD3200BEVT-22A23T0 01.01A01> ATA-8 SATA 2.x device
pass0: 300.000MB/s transfers (SATA 2.x, UDMA6, PIO 8192bytes)

protocol              ATA/ATAPI-8 SATA 2.x
device model          WDC WD3200BEVT-22A23T0
firmware revision     01.01A01
serial number         WD-WXL1AB086780
WWN                   50014ee6565acc41
cylinders             16383
heads                 16
sectors/track         63
sector size           logical 512, physical 512, offset 0
LBA supported         268435455 sectors
LBA48 supported       625142448 sectors
PIO supported         PIO4
DMA supported         WDMA2 UDMA6
media RPM             5400

Feature                      Support  Enabled   Value           Vendor
read ahead                     yes      yes
write cache                    yes      yes
flush cache                    yes      yes
overlap                        no
Tagged Command Queuing (TCQ)   no       no
Native Command Queuing (NCQ)   yes              32 tags
SMART                          yes      yes
microcode download             yes      yes
security                       yes      no
power management               yes      yes
advanced power management      yes      no      254/0xFE
automatic acoustic management  yes      no      254/0xFE        128/0x80
media status notification      no       no
power-up in Standby            no       no
write-read-verify              no       no
unload                         yes      yes
free-fall                      no       no
data set management (TRIM)     no

And finally i've got in /boot/loader.conf:
hint.ahcich.0.pm_level=0

I'd like to know how to permanently disable this APM mode because it's
killing my HDD.