Date:      Fri, 2 Jan 1998 01:54:15 -0800 (PST)
From:      Burton Sampley <bsampley@best.com>
To:        Strobel <100730.3706@compuserve.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: X-Server under FreeBSD2.2.5

I had this same problem.  I couldn't find the reply from XI so I searched
the archives (in -current).  For XIGv3.1 here's their solution (BTW, I
would ignore the recomendation to rm font.alias):

Hello Burton (and FreeBSD-current readers),

The problem you are seeing is due to XF86 shipping their fonts in
gzipped format.  The X server does not know how to uncompress them.
This is not of course something that we could know, since v3.1 shipped
well before the XF86 release.  And it is not something seen when
running with AcceleratedX's CDE product, since we ship our own X libs
and fonts with this.

The solution:

unix-prompt> cd /path/to/fonts
unix-prompt> rm fonts.dir fonts.alias fonts.scale
(note:  not all files are necessarily present in each dir)
unix-prompt> gzip -d *
unix-prompt> compress *
unix-prompt> mkfontdir

Repeat for each font directory you are going to use - these are listed
in the /etc/Xaccel.ini file...

NOTE:  This was dated around Jun 1997.

Hope this helps.

- burton -