Date:      Sun, 30 Aug 1998 07:39:50 +0200
From:      Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@rucus.ru.ac.za>
To:        Shawn Ramsey <shawn@cpl.net>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: duplicate hard drive

On Sat 1998-08-29 (22:19), Shawn Ramsey wrote:
> I need to replace the boot drive on one of our servers... Is possible to
> easily make a duplicate copy(boot manager and all) ?? I recall this being
> discussed awhile back, but I dont remember the thread and can't seem to find
> it in the archives...

If they're _exactly_ the same drives, you can use dd.

dd if=/dev/wd0 of=/dev/wd1       (from wd0 to wd1)

You can set a blocksize too, but dd usually chooses a considerate setting.

Rather don't do this while either drive is mounted, which means doing it from
a floppy install, probably, else putting both drives in another machine.

If they're not the same drives, there are other ways of doing things, which
other people will be able to explain better than I.

Neil
--
Neil Blakey-Milner
nbm@rucus.ru.ac.za