Date:      Thu, 30 Aug 2001 19:54:08 +0200 (MES)
From:      Nikolaus Hiebaum <h9400395@miraculix.wu-wien.ac.at>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   DHCP problems

Hi -

I am using FreeBSD 4.3 on a IBM Laptop 350C with a Ethernet PCMCIA card
from 3COM (3c589D).

Upon booting the device is recogized. Following output:
ep0: <3com Ethernet III 3C589> at port 0x240_0x24f irq3 slot 0 on pccard 0
ep0: Ethernet address 00:60:08:8A:45:73

Now I want to use a DHCP server to get an IP address. I type
dhclient ep0
and first I got an error message somthing about rtinit. After a while
(between 1 and two minutes) I did get an IP address. Our Sysadmin checked
serverside and said that the computer requests an IP, gets one, accepts
it, and requests it again.

One time it worked almost instantly without any error message, and from
now I on I get a new error message:
ifconfig: ioctl (SIOCDIFADDR): Can't assign requested address
And I don't get an IP address anymore.

Anybody have an idea?

CU L8er,
Nick