Date:      Thu, 28 Dec 1995 09:45:29 +1100 (EST)
From:      Anthony Hill <ahill@interconnect.com.au>
To:        Ken Fallot <fallot@ecc.nyseg.com>
Cc:        questions@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: dial-up , PPP, SLIP or other REMOTE X

On Wed, 27 Dec 1995, Ken Fallot wrote:

>   help
>   I'm running FreeBSD 2.0.5 on P90 with perm. connection to internet at work.
>
>   I would like to provide myself with dial in capabilities and run
>   things like Mosaic, Netscape and other X applications from home. (also
>   FreeBsd) I've read some about PPP and SLIP and I'm still a bit confused.
>   If anyone can help answer some of my questions I would be greatfull.
>
>   - I only have one IP from my ISP can i still run ppp or slip?

No, you will not be able to communicate with the greater internet unless
you get a routable account from your ISP. (You will also need to get
yourself allocated a block of addresses either from your ISP or nic)

>   - Is there any "REMOTE X" type applicatione i can use on dial-up?

Sure are, a couple of good free/shareware ones are Xwin, and Xwin32, you can
also get some pretty good stuff from chamelion, but it costs $$$. Of
course you can also use another UNIX box running Xwindows.

>   - Is there any way i can do one of the above from a DOS client?

If you are running windows.