Date:      Tue, 17 Aug 2004 17:18:21 -0400
From:      Allan Fields <bsd@afields.ca>
To:        DOT <dot@data.pl>
Cc:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: can't reattach gbde slice

On Mon, Aug 16, 2004 at 08:31:43PM +0200, DOT wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm using GBDE on laptop everyday from six months and it never fails,
> so I feel free to store all my sensitive data on encrypted slice (ad0s3
> - my home directory).

This might not be GBDE related, don't know yet.

> Today something really bad happens and I can't attach it anymore. I
> can't even discover what's the reason because there are/were no error
> messages, system boot and run without problem, my brain isn't corrupted,
> hardware looks fine too. I know it for sure, passphrase is good.

ad0s3 you are using a raw slice.  Where is FreeBSD located?
So you went to attach and you get no /dev/ad0s3.bde ?

> Only one thing comes to my mind - yesterday I've run some livecd linux
> distribution.. just looked around and shutdown - but I'm not sure, could
> it overwrite something?

I'd hope not, unless you went to install something, you can still boot
FreeBSD off ad0?  If you went to partition the drive it might have done
something.

> If so, how can I check this? Or, most important to me, is there
any chance to fix this?

Get fdisk output and any disklabels on ad0.  Is s3 still the same?
Even writing partitions from Linux fdisk shouldn't be a problem,
unless changed.  If not you have a back-up of the partition table
or idea what you used?

--
 Allan Fields, AFRSL - http://afields.ca
 2D4F 6806 D307 0889 6125  C31D F745 0D72 39B4 5541