Date:      Fri, 1 Oct 2004 15:42:43 -0400
From:      Bart Silverstrim <bsilver@chrononomicon.com>
To:        FreeBSD Question List <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: I'm a 'tard - I don't know what a Subject line is (Was well, no subject)

On Oct 1, 2004, at 3:24 PM, Bill Moran wrote:

> Chris <racerx@makeworld.com> wrote:
>
>> Nicx wrote:
>>>    Hello Guy's!
>>>
>>>    Is there any emulator that i  can run win32 apllications on=20
>>> freeBSD?
>>>    ... Nicx
>>>    ---- www.ebox.gr - Dwrea'n E-mail =B5e 15MB mailbox=20
>>> www.hyperhosting.gr
>>>    Apokty%ste to diko' sa*s web site =B5e dw%ro to domain name!
>>
>> I would be sooo much nicer it 'tards would learn to use the subject=20=

>> line
>
> Those kind of comments are not welcome on this list.

Maybe he was having a bad day and took one too many irritations like=20
that to heart; I sometimes don't bother replying to top posters anymore=20=

in my emails or to lists just because it's irritating to me to keep=20
going through jumbled headers and sorting crap out to get an actual=20
idea of what is going on in an email.  Eventually I just pop it into=20
the bit bucket...if it's important, they'll email again with hopefully=20=

a new email that's clean and free of crap.

Same with people that use reply-to to post their new message=20
topics...so it gets threaded under a different subject that has NOTHING=20=

to do with the actual topic at hand.  So they screw up the threading.

AAARGH

then again, I break the 72-character wrapping.  Other people are really=20=

miffed at that in this list.  I wish someone would fix the Unix mailers=20=

to see this properly, because I'm using Mail.app and it's stupid after=20=

being drilled so often not to hit "enter" periodically for word=20
processing.  Mail.app does put in wrapping, but it's using a type of=20
word wrapping that is configurable...something from qualcomm, I want to=20=

say?...where messages would be dynamically wrapped to be more readable=20=

on variable display sizes.  Something about messages showing up=20
properly in email editors on PCs to small displays like those on PDA's=20=

and cellphones.  If the mailer interprets this properly, every=20
quotation is properly indented regardless of the size of the window. =20
So I irritate people in that regard.

When everyone who emails me stops top posting and screwing up the=20
threading or doing anything else to irritate my wonderful online=20
experience, I'll manually wrap lines at 72 characters.

Anyway, yeah, it was wrong to be so harsh...but maybe he had *some*=20
justification in mind at the time.

> If you want to be rude to people, please don't associate yourself with
> FreeBSD when you do it.

Yeah...take it to an advocacy forum! :-)

> As to the OP's question, look at wine (http://www.winehq.com) ...=20
> although
> I've never had much success with it, that's what it's supposed to do.

Try using vmware, or QEMU.  Or Plex86, or whatever they're calling that=20=

project now.  VM's tended to work much better for running Windows=20
software than WINE has worked for me, but that's just my experience.