Date:      Tue, 07 Jul 1998 23:14:50 +0100
From:      Andrew Boothman <andrew@boothman.easynet.co.uk>
To:        Allan Alford <aa@thinkwell.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Old EGA Video Card & Monitor

Allan Alford wrote:

> Your problems are happening before the operating system even
> has a chance to do anything.  They're hardware and/or BIOS
> related.

Absolutely. I realise this has nothing to do with the OS, but I thought
you folks would be able to answer my questions since they are hardware
related.

> I bet you have a 720k floppy and that you told the BIOS it's
> a 1.44.

You could well be right. But I can't even get the system to enter it's
BIOS setup program, so I have no way to change this setting even if
that's the problem. Another -hardware list member suggested that the
BIOS setup program may use a VGA font, and that might prevent the setup
program being used on EGA hardware.

What would happen if I booted the machine with no drives? i.e. With
nothing but a keyboard and video card/monitor? Would the machine enter
its BIOS setup program OK? These questions may be BIOS specific so my
BIOS is a AMIBIOS 1992 Version 1.00.03.BS0T

Thanks for your help

--
Andrew Boothman <andrew@boothman.easynet.co.uk>
http://www.boothman.easynet.co.uk/andrew/