Date:      Mon, 20 May 2019 09:23:29 -0400
From:      Anthony Jenkins <Scoobi_doo@yahoo.com>
To:        FreeBSD CURRENT <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD X11 <freebsd-x11@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Using loader.conf(5) 'exec' directive to set video mode

I'm running (a somewhat dated) FreeBSD 13.0-CURRENT (git commit
68c8581f7, Tue. Feb 12 13:01:55 2019) on a UEFI laptop with an Intel UHD
display, booting a ZFS root filesystem (gptzfsboot(8)). I'm trying to
get the console into a lower resolution than the native UHD when the
kernel is booted.  I can manually do this by breaking into the loader
prompt at boot and entering 'mode 1', then 'boot'. loader.conf(5) says I
can run this command automatically with the 'exec' directive, but the
video mode doesn't change.

$ sudo cat /boot/loader.conf
Password:
autoboot_delay="3"
#boot_single="YES"
boot_verbose="YES"
kern.timecounter.hardware="HPET"
hw.psm.synaptics_support="1"
kern.vty="vt"
hw.vga.textmode="1"
efi_max_resolution="1920x1080"
exec="mode 1"

I've also tried using directive 'efi_max_resolution' - same result. Does
'exec' work on my configuration (UEFI boot, ZFS root), or am I not using
it right?  I've tried putting other loader commands in 'exec' with no
effect. Same question for efi_max_resolution.

A separate question (possibly for graphics@ or x11@) is when the i915(4)
kernel module from the graphics/drm-current-kmod port is loaded by
rc.conf(4)'s 'kld_list' variable.  When I do manually set the console
resolution using 'mode 1', it is reset to maximum resolution when
i915(4) is loaded.

Thanks in advance,
Anthony Jenkins