Date:      Sun, 02 Nov 2014 22:05:26 +1030
From:      William <william@firstyear.id.au>
To:        Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Loader vs loader efi ficl incompatibility

Hi,

On Fri, 2014-10-31 at 18:45 -0700, Adrian Chadd wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Is the code anywhere public? If not, would you actually publish it somewhere?

It's not public yet, but I plan to release the code plus documentation
on how to make freebsd work on one of the Macbook pro's on my blog once
I'm done. Any changes I make to core freebsd components I will of course
submit as a patch.

> I'm glad you're digging into this! It sounds like it's a real
> pre-requisite to make these laptops useful in FreeBSD.

Yes, it really is! They are sadly quite unusable without these steps in
freebsd, or linux.

I'll report back to this thread when I have done some more. At this
point I have patched the amd64 version of loader to support outb / inb,
and I have ran a test of this functionality which worked. Sadly, I
choose to test against the "power the discrete card off" switch without
anything else, so now my freebsd boots to a black screen (Oops). I'll
fix it up tomorrow morning once I get to work and create a live cd to
fix up boot.4th.

Any pointers on how to write a forth script that would run "after the
user presses enter at loader, but before the kernel is loaded" would be
much appreciated.

>From there I hope to get Xorg working. At that point, I'll send a patch
of what I did to loader to the correct mailing list (Is freebsd-devel
correct?), and I'll take some notes. After than once I get wireless and
some other bits working, I'll publish the kernel module, and the
documentation.

--
William <william@firstyear.id.au>