Date:      Tue, 4 Apr 2000 17:58:46 -0400
From:      Garance A Drosihn <drosih@rpi.edu>
To:        Patryk Zadarnowski <patrykz@ilion.eu.org>, "G. Adam Stanislav" <adam@whizkidtech.net>
Cc:        Alex Belits <abelits@phobos.illtel.denver.co.us>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Unicode on FreeBSD

At 1:17 AM +1000 4/5/00, Patryk Zadarnowski wrote:
> > >  I have just asked, who will benefit from it. No one answered
> > > "I will" -- everyone who makes Unicode support believes that it
> > > will benefit someone else.
> >
> > I thought I did. OK, let me restate: I will! I actually do already
> > because I did some work and it is in the ports.
>
>OK,  I didn't  say  anything ealier  because  I though  it was  fairly
>obvious that anyone dealing with  a *mixed* environment beyond that of
>ISO 8859-1 (even  if that means just a mixture  of ISO 8859-1/2) would
>find Unicode support in the kernel a blessing from the heaven.  Let me
>restate that:  I will use  it. Currently, if  you have a group  of ISO
>8859-2  users on  the  system ,  the  ISO 8859-1  people  see them  as
>meaningless junk.   I don't  even want to  think about  something like
>Arabic.

I also think this issue is so obvious that it seems silly to even
have to mention it.  If anyone is working on unicode support in any
part of the system, then more power to them.  Even if no one did use
unicode support, it is mighty nice to have it sitting there should
the need arise.  If there is a superior alternative down the road,
let's call that unicode-II, then it would also be great if FreeBSD
has support for that too.  I am not aware of any current alternative
which is as widely pursued as unicode, though, and it seems pretty
obvious that it would benefit FreeBSD if we were among the operating
systems which understand what to do with it.

I don't understand what possible benefit there is in having *NO*
options to deal with all the language-characters in the world. Even
if unicode isn't perfect, it is a damn sight better than nothing.
If some specific change for unicode does break things, then I can
see arguing that change.  I can't fathom why anyone would argue
against unicode support per se.

---
Garance Alistair Drosehn           =   gad@eclipse.acs.rpi.edu
Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute