Date:      Wed, 14 Mar 2001 08:29:15 -0800
From:      richard childers <fscked@pacbell.net>
To:        czr <czr@dunces.org>
Cc:        Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>, Scott Pilz <tech@squid.tznet.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SUN TO BSD

I think that you can select the type of encryption used in the passwd file; if
you set it to use the old UNIX encryption algorithm from the original crypt(1)
(DES?), the resulting passwd field should be interoperable between Solaris and
FreeBSD systems.

You will probably need to rearrange the specific fields; I don't have Solaris or
FreeBSD passwd format memorized; sorry, so I can't make specific recommendations
there.

Hope this is helpful.

-- richard

czr wrote:

> This would most likely work. We have a SUN NIS server on a network with
> many different OS's and it works very well. I cant help you on how this
> would be setup but it is a functional solution.
>
> Burke
>
> On Mon, 5 Mar 2001, Bill Mora
> > Scott Pilz wrote:
> > >
> > > Does anyone know of a program, utility, or someone that knows code well
> > > enough, to convert the SUNOS (5.7) password files to FreeBSD 4.0 password
> > > files?
> > >
> > > Can this, has this, would this ever, be able to be done?
> > >
> > > We have a Sun box that has 10k users, it sucks.
> > >
> > > We want to switch from Sun and go to BSD all the way.
> > >
> > > Is this even possible? I don't want to type in 10,000 user's names and
> > > passwords by hand.
> >
> > Can't blame you.
> > Have you considered setting the Sun up as and NIS server and a BSD box
> > up as an NIS client so the BSD box will import the user list via NIS? I
> > warn you that I haven't tried this and don't know if it would work, or
> > what the exact procedure would be. It's just and idea.
> >
> > -Bill

Richard A. Childers
Senor UNIX Administrator
fscked@pacbell.net (email)
415.664.6291 (voice/msgs)

# Providing administrative expertise (not 'damage control') since 1986.
# PGP fingerprint: 7EFF 164A E878 7B04 8E9F  32B6 72C2 D8A2 582C 4AFA