Date:      Wed, 6 Mar 1996 09:48:18 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Subject:   Re: HP 4080i as both CD and WORM?

As Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

[Scope widened to freebsd-scsi without Jordan's permission, hope he
wouldn't mind. :) ]

> Compliments again on the WORM support - this is working really well!

Well, it still suffers from a few idiosyncracsies and design flaws.
The most annoying one is the blatant use of UNIT ATTENTIONs in these
drives, which causes four messages at boot time, and still required me
to insert an extra ``scsi -f /dev/rworm0.ctl -c "0 0 0 0 0 0"'' into
the script i'm using to burn CD-R's.  (This is a harmless TEST UNIT
READY command, only to catch the UA condition.)

It misses the code for a few common burners as well, the most
frequently asked question is about the Yamaha devices.  Jordan, could
you bug Yamaha to release their SCSI reference manual to us, even
though we cannot promise them any sales figures and other $%!@?

It misses code for ``disk at once'', and my Plasmon doesn't even seem
to support this.  I wonder whether it's possible to simulate this by
reserving all desired tracks with their projected size, and then
writing them sequentially.

Our CD-ROM driver misses any functionality to access the different
sessions you can burn.  It always only accesses the first one, so you
gotta waste much space.  (Example: a plain FreeBSD SNAP without ports
is ~ 150 MB.  You could put four of them onto one CD-R.)

The CD-ROM driver does also seem to miss the audio part.  This might
or might not become tricky, in particular given the weird block size
of audio tracks (2352 bytes).

> It'd still be kind of nice, however, to be able to use it as a CDROM
> when the occasion dictated.  I know someone who's buying it as a
> replacement for his existing CDROM, in fact, and I can bet which
> question he's going to ask me first.. :-) You've been in the scsiconf
> code - any quick ideas?  I notice that a match prevents further
> scanning as another type of scsi device, so you can't just add a CD
> entry in (I tried :-).

The worm driver is very special in this respect.  In theory, it should
already be able to read the data from the raw device, but i know that
it doesn't.  Once this is working, somebody needs to create also the
`bdevsw' entries -- not a big deal.

For a more advanced operation, the driver needs to inherit all the
functionality of the CD-ROM driver.  It is a very special case, since
the CD-Rs can be considered a ``super-class'' of CD-ROMs.  We could
either clone the CD-ROM driver, or violate the layering and jump
directly into the CD-ROM functions.  Or we invent something new, where
the common part will be extracted into a device-independant CD-ROM
driver, with the `cd' and `worm' drivers providing the actual framwork
to access its functions.

--
cheers, J"org