Date:      Thu, 5 Oct 2000 13:02:47 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Richard Hodges <rh@matriplex.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   A decent way to get CPU idle time?

Greetings!

Is there a clean and decent way to find out the percentage
of CPU idle time, like top and systat give?  I have browsed
the source for both, and neither appear to have a simple
way of finding this information.

I have already tried and rejected getloadavg.  In my
application, two main processes will always account
for 95% or more of the activity.

I suppose I could use RDTSC to grab the clock on my system
calls, and figure a rudimentary sum of CPU activity, but
that won't help me with the expensive file and socket calls.
And I would pretty much have to guess about the CPU time spent
in the kernel.

Any ideas?  Thanks.

-Richard