Date:      Sat, 5 Feb 2000 13:53:10 +1000
From:      "Doug Young" <young@richardson.apana.org.au>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Sendmail Configuration

I'm trying to configure sendmail and would appreciate advice on a
number

of issues

Firstly, "sendmail.cw" & "relay-domains"

To quote from one of your earlier messages "sendmail.cw is where

you list domain name that you want sendmail to accept mail for (as

being for that local machine)."

so since I want bryden to accept mail for all my LAN machines I

made up a "sendmail.gw" file as follows

+++++++++++++++++++++

bryden.apana.org.au

oracle.apana.org.au

dougy.apana.org.au

roadrunner.apana.org.au

jdy.apana.org.au

matey.apana.org.au

+++++++++++++++++++++

I'm a bit confused by "relay-domains contains domain names of all

machines you want to allow relaying for. You would probably list

all your other machines here."

I read that as meaning I should just list all local machines, so

I made up a "relay-domains" file by copying the "sendmail.cw" file

to "relay-domains"

Secondly, I tried running the following as per your suggestions a

while back

makemap hash /etc/mail/virtusertable < /etc/mail/virtusertable

makemap hash /etc/mail/access < /etc/mail/access

Got "No such file or directory", so I created a new empty file

"/etc/mail/virtusertable" ... and ran that first thing again

..... this time I got a different response

"/etc/mail/virtusertable.db: line 1: syntax error (leading space)"

Looks like I've gotta put something in that "virtusertable" file but

just what is the question ??

I ran "man virtusertable" but that just said "No manual entry for

virtusertable"

Looked back in "/etc/mail" and now there is a new file,
"virtusertable.db",

but it only contains a line of garbage

What haven't I done right ???