Date:      Thu, 18 Jul 2002 09:31:25 +0200
From:      "Erik Mattsson" <erik.mattsson@imbridge.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Install problems: de0: autosense failed

Im trying to install freebsd (stable) into a computer at work
but am having one problem. Im using the floppies and was hoping to
install using FTP.

Everything works fine till after the "Kernel configuration menu", there
I have removed all conflicts. (All 7 conflicts where in the networks
settings), ive also removed all SCSI stuff that I dont want to use and
I've selected the NE2000 device as my network device.

Im not sure what kind of a network card it is, but during loading it says:
"de0: Digital 21140A Fast Ethernet".
But after some time it displays
"de0: autosense failed, cable problem?"

Does this mean that the network card isnt compabilite with FreeBSD?
It seems that it finds the card at an IRQ and other info, but cant use it!?

Im sure that there is no problem with the card since it works fine in
Windows2000. (and I got it to work under NetBSD but I want to go over to
freebsd, since ive used it at my last job, in NetBSD I had to try fiddle
with it AFTER a ftp installationen, ie it installed OK using a FTP site but
after the installation I had to enter below text into /etc/ifconfig.de0
"195.7.90.75 netmask 0xfffffff0 media 10baseT"

Is there anyway to log all messages when loading/installing so I can look at them
in a slower pace than trying to read from the monitor? (remember im using the
floppies)

And is there any way to solve this problem?

RegardsErik