Date:      Fri, 13 Oct 2000 11:26:21 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Lee J Carmichael <lcarmich@wamnet.com>
To:        Piotr Kucharski <chopin@sgh.waw.pl>, avatar@ultra.ultra.net.au
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: network interface problem

Hello Everyone,

I found that on the newer IBM 4500R the AMD ethernet chipset version is an
new version(which 'Am79C975'). The newer version does not have a freebsd
driver. I did some investgation and found that in Linux the new driver
didn't seem to do anything different from the previous version. (it had
set the same vars, it just handled detecting of the new chipset version
and setting the new chipset name.) But I didn't try to hack the driver in
FreeBSD because I still don't understand the structure and what the driver
does well enough. It seems that it could be added in,
'/usr/src/sys/i386/isa/if_lnc.c' and in the header
'/usr/src/sys/i386/isa/if_lnc.h' as a new 'Chip Type'. Any helpful hints,
links to FreeBSD device drivers how tos, etc? The other thing that seems
odd to me is that these drivers still live under ISA and not under the PCI
tree, it doesn't seem to matter but I was wondering why.

Thanks,
--------
Lee Carmichael		WAM!NET Inc.
System Engineer		655 Lone Oak Rd Building E
651-256-5292		Eagan, MN 55121