Date:      Sat, 12 Sep 1998 20:48:22 -0700 (PDT)
From:      vega vega <vega1@rocketmail.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how do i authorize my sys to connect to an X server on my shell?

---"Richard E. Hawkins Esq."
<hawk@eyry.econ.iastate.edu> wrote:

> nathan wrote,
>
> > > Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to
Server
> > > Xlib: connection to "129.21.11.14:0.0" refused
by server
> > > Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to
Server
> > > workshop: Can't open display, exiting...
>
> > > this is the message i get when i try to use any
> > > program that requires X. ive already set
DISPLAY to
> > > my ip but it gives me that...
>
> > did you run
> > xhost +<server name>
> > on the client machine?
>
> that's not as secure.  If you use
>
>   xauth list $DISPLAY
>
> in a valid window, clip the "MIT-MAGIC-COOKIE
abc123....90"

> and enter
>
>   xauth add $DISPLAY <clippedstuf>
>
> you'll stay secure.
>
> xhost + other.machine
>
> lets anyone on that machine launch to your display.
 And apparently
> there're a couple of nasties out there to sabatoge
your system once
> this happens.
>
> rick

i tried both suggestions and neither worked. if it
helps i am on a dialup connection using pppd with
fbsd 2.2.7 release. when i first set up pppd i pretty
much just jury rigged it so it would work, so im sure
there are things did i did wrong or didnt even do in
the first place.

my original problem is that i want to be able to
login to one of my shells from my machine and use
apps that require X (in this case, emacs and workshop)

hopefully that will make things a little bit more
clear since i dont think i explained my problem very
well the first time. thanks for your time.