Date:      Wed, 29 Oct 1997 11:10:37 +0100
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        freebsd-current@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: bad system call - world build

In message <199710290929.BAA14235@silvia.HIP.Berkeley.EDU>, Satoshi Asami write
s:
> * I'm sorry Satoshi-san, then people should install a 3.X snap on
> * a client, NFS mount their diskspace and make world that way.
>
>That always worked, but it is horrendously slow.  Besides, how about
>"make release"?  Doesn't that thing build a target world on the host
>system?

And wouldn't that work over NFS as well ?

You lost me...

>You just made life very
>hard for people to upgrade, as well as negating a large part of my few
>month's work of work.

I just wastly improve the speed of getcwd(), yes.

Are you trying to stop progress in the name of transisition ?

I can't see any reason why make world should need to run any program
that is linked to the newly compiled libc...  And in that respect I
think that most of your work is headed the wrong direction...

>I'm trying to fix it.  If you are just going to try to justify why you
>broke that, there is no need for that.  (That's why I said "I don't
>want to point fingers.")  If you are not willing to help, just say so,
>and I won't bother you again.

I'm very willing to help, but only if we attack the correct problem:

	"How can I compile my FreeBSD sources on a foreign platform".

rather than

	"How do I avoid the most obvious problems compiling on an
	outdated FreeBSD system".

I actually belive that cross-compiling is better than native compiling
because you cannot make the kind of shortcuts that way which is giving
us trouble now.