Date:      Tue, 24 Mar 1998 10:38:02 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Brian Shellabarger <brian@zyx.net>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: The Complete FreeBSD p.237

On Mon, 23 March 1998 at 15:03:41 -0700, Brian Shellabarger wrote:
> At 03:08 PM 3/20/98 , Richard Broza said:
>> me found a bug or typo in the book The Complete FreeBSD on p.237
>> it states:
>>
>>  You'll find all the files described in this chapter on the first CD-ROM
>> ( Installation CD-ROM ) in the directory /book..
>>
>> just checked the first CD.. there is NO directory called /book on the
>> first CD..
>
> I've found *several* such errors in the book -- Fortunately, I've got
> enough experience with FreeBSD to recognize most of the "dumb" mistakes
> that are printed, but I feel sorry for a beginner who may try to follow an
> example right out of the book, only to find that they can't get it
to work.

Maybe the beginners would start at the beginning.  On page ii, they
would then read:

                         Important notice

   A list of errata and addenda is available for this book on the
   first CD-ROM in the file /book/errata.  The most up-to-date list is
   on ftp://ftp.lemis.com/pub/cfbsd/errata-2.  Please check these
   lists before reporting problems.

The background to this was that the book was published after the 2.2.5
CD-ROM, and we didn't want to stick to the location that had
(accidentally) been chosen on the 2.2.5 CD-ROM because it was
inconvenient.

I won't repeat the errata and addenda here; there are about 10 pages,
and if you have the book, you should download them yourself.

> I've had to deal with second-guessing a manual before, I can't tell you how
> many countless hours (and aspirin) were wasted until I finally realized
> that the book I was trying so hard to learn from had subtle typo's in many
> of the examples.
>
> Anybody know who we can report such mistakes to? (I guess it doesn't do
> much good at this point since the book is already in print, but I'm
> assuming there will be other revisions).

Send them to me.  I'll add a note on page ii.

Greg