Date:      Mon, 8 Jun 1998 16:32:07 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        sos@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        eivind@yes.no, jkh@time.cdrom.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Switching sound drivers (was Re: cvs commit: src/sys/i386/isa/snd ad1848.c sb_dsp.c sound.c)

> > > Aha, thanks for pointing this out - you're right.  I uncommented pcm0
> > > and all the audio drivers under the impression that it would cause
> > > pcm0 to be built as well but now that you mention it, of course, I
> > > find that to be totally untrue.  Feh.  Since nobody's even supporting
> > > the "old" audio driver anymore, perhaps we should just bite the bullet
> > > and migrate for -current?
> >
> > I'm in favour.  The old driver seems full of bogus code anyway, as we
> Hmm, we will loose the ability to run popular Linux games then, as
> they use the mmap etc functionality in the VoxWare derived sound

we can adopt a soft approach -- just move LINT, GENERIC etc to the new
driver and leave the old one in the source tree.

The day will come soon when there will be no audio cards on the market
compatible with the old driver and we'll have solved the problem :)

(the GusPnP is already out of production, and CreativeLabs seem to
have moved to the Vibra16X codec and this seems to be unable to do
full duplex (to best of my knowledge, even the commercial OSS cannot
do that).

> drivers and Luigi's driver hasn't got that support, nor is it in
> his plans AFAIK ...

Speaking of mmapped stuff, it is not that hard to add support for it
(i'd say 80% of the code is already there, including the basic mmap
calls; one only needs to play with syncronization information).
Support for it will come when we find someone who understands what the mmap
code should do (i suspect it resembles the microsoft audio api),
and has code to test the thing. I am more than willing to help with the
details, but no volunteers shows up...

	cheers
	luigi