Date:      Mon, 28 May 2012 18:57:04 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Antonio Olivares <olivares14031@gmail.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: pwd_mkdb: /etc/master.passwd: Inappropriate file type or format

On Mon, 28 May 2012 11:51:23 -0500, Antonio Olivares wrote:
> I have run the command as root user
> # pwd_mkdb -d /etc/master.passwd

Looks wrong; the parameter -d is "-d directory", explained
as "Store databases into specified destination directory
instead of /etc."

The coorect command should be

	# pwd_mkdb /etc/master.passwd

See "man pwd_mkdb" for details.

> but it fails with a pam_auth() or I can't remember exact error
> message, I will need to run command and post the exact error message
> here :(

Some file access error would be possible.

> Either do this, or install a desktop which does not depend on
> devel/dbus package(s).

The dbus port is often used to "enhance functionality", but
it's not entirely required to run KDE, Gnome or Xfce (to name
the "big three"). Just make sure X is compiled without it.
Maybe some functionality might be missing, but if you don't
depend on it... as for just automount, FreeBSD has a native
solution that worked even before HAL and DBUS.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany