Date:      Mon, 11 May 1998 11:37:59 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Hugh LaMaster <lamaster@george.arc.nasa.gov>
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Gabor Kincses <gabor@acm.org>
Subject:   Re: ATAPI (yet again)

On Mon, 11 May 1998, Gabor Kincses wrote:

> OK, I took the CDs and a boot floppy (all 2.2.5) to my friends' house to
> install FreeBSD on their brand new Dell box.
>
> As it turns out they have a 6.4G as primary master and an ATAPI CD-ROM

Is that using a FAT32 filesystem or is it partitioned?
That might make a difference; I'm not sure.

> device as secondary master.  There is also an ATAPI ZIP in it (the BIOS
> didn't report its location).  The wcd0 probe was hanging quite a bit and
> in the end the CD-ROM wasn't recognized.

I'm not sure how the ATAPI ZIP will affect things, but,
as long as it is secondary slave it shouldn't hurt anything
else.  In my IDE system, the W95 disk is primary master,
the FreeBSD disk is primary slave, and the ATAPI CDROM
is secondary master, and it works fine.  Booteasy
installed on both IDE disks makes it easy to boot either
W95 or FreeBSD, reboot remotely (boots to previously
booted OS even though it is on secondary drive).
It worked this way under 2.2.x and now under 3.0-current.

> Since I can't just rejumper and rewire their brand new computer without
> them throwing me out, I'm stuck.  They'd like FreeBSD, but they don't
> understand the benefits, yet, so at this point this is a very hard
> sell.  Would 2.2.6 be a cure for this?

I went through a little bit of pain on this.  Re-configuring
their computer isn't really what is needed.

I'm just guessing that what will cure it is a slave IDE
disk on the primary IDE.  At least for me, that is what
de-confused the IDE location/naming problems I had.

So, my advice is just to install an expensive IDE disk
as the primary slave and see if that works.  This is a
minimal investment in both money, time, and risk.  You
could even have 2.2.x already installed on the disk.
Just set the fstab entries correctly in advance.

As always, I might be totally confused - additions,
corrections, deletions welcome.

--
 Hugh LaMaster, M/S 233-21,    ASCII Email: hlamaster@mail.arc.nasa.gov
 NASA Ames Research Center     Or:          lamaster@george.arc.nasa.gov