Date:      Sun, 2 Sep 2001 17:14:19 -0500
From:      Ade Lovett <ade@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Paul Khavkine <paul@colba.net>
Cc:        freebsd-sparc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Building the code

On Sun, Sep 02, 2001 at 02:49:22PM -0400, Paul Khavkine wrote:

> Hi folks, anyone has the instructions on how to build the FreeBSD code
> on an Ultra box ?
> Right now the box has NetBSD 1.5.1 installed, will upgrade to
> NetBSD-current soon.
> I guess i'll need to setup a cross compiler, what version is recommended
> ?

Save yourself a whole bunch of pain, get a CURRENT x86 box up and running,
and use that as your cross-compiler platform.

NetBSD/sparc64, whilst obviously significantly further along the track
than FreeBSD, is not, IMHO, anywhere close to being a stable system, there
are still numerous toolchain issues (at least as of 2 weeks ago, the last
snap I have on one disk in my U5), and is thus not a viable cross-development
platform, though extremely useful as a reference.

These are the notes given to me by Jake, who in turn got them from David,
our toolchain fu-master.

1. Download the gcc-core-3.0.tar.gz.  I got it here:
ftp://sunsite.unc.edu/pub/gnu/gcc/gcc-3.0/gcc-core-3.0.tar.gz

2. untar; cd gcc-3.0;

3. mkdir o; cd o;

4. ../configure --target=sparc64-unknown-elf --program-prefix=sparc64- \
--with-as=/usr/local/bin/sparc64-as --with-ld=/usr/local/bin/sparc64-ld

5. gmake

However, from an irc conversation a short while ago, we were contemplating
with the idea of an /arch/sparc64/usr/{bin,lib,libexec} setup for such
cross-compilers.  Also note that considerable portions of src/sys, though
not those ones as yet used by the sparc64 kernel, are not gcc-3.0 ready by
any stretch of the imagination.

> Also is the loader ready to boot off the ufs partition yet ?

No.  It netboots and (almost) gets to single-user (last time I checked,
about a week ago).

Actually, given the closeness of single-user, thus opening up the port to
a considerably larger audience than the deep-deep-deep undercover people
who are those that have done the initial framework, it is perhaps time to
standardize on a cross-platform toolchain and location, so that we are
all working with the same tools.

-aDe

--
Ade Lovett, Austin, TX.			       ade@FreeBSD.org